The Doors Guest House opened in 2007 in a heritage building on the main street of Hastings, Ontario as a pet friendly, family style suite with a self-service kitchen and a Japanese style garden.
With the encouragement of the Trent Hills Downtown Business Improvement grants the Guest House was converted to wheelchair accessibility in the spring of 2011. Retaining the artistic interior, the suite now has a roll in shower, accessible fixtures and an adjustable bed, wireless Internet as well as a new fireplace and themed decorations of fish and birds. Outside the Japanese garden is paved with interlocking red brick and includes an accessible connection to the municipal sidewalk at the side.
Outdoor electrical hook ups and a wide rear parking space can accommodate boats and trailers. We are in the downtown within walking distance of all amenities including fishing from the bridge at Lock 18 of the Trent Severn Waterway. Shop at our delightful Saturday Farmers Market in the summer and bring your goodies home to cook a meal and relax in the fenced in back yard. Or order from Jaings Chinese Food next door with vegetables grown fifty feet from the kitchen in the secret garden.
History of the Building: 29 Front Street East, Hastings
McDonnell and Bartley built “The Albion Hotel” circa 1860 for Henry Fowlds who was responsible for the first industrial development of the village beginning in 1851. The building has a triple brick construction, door with transom and sidelights and sturdy chimneys define this handsome Georgian style two and a half-storey building. The horizontal emphasis of the building was transformed by the addition of an exuberant two-storey late Victorian verandah. One can imagine visitors “taking the air” on the second floor balcony while gazing down Front Street.
In 1885 Richard Coughlan, Hastings first doctor, bought the house in anticipation of his marriage and used it as an office, apothecary and home until his death in 1908. In the twentieth century the ground floor facade was altered again creating a storefront. The building has housed a bakery, scrap metal business, antique shop, artists’ studio and now “The Doors Guest House”. In 2012 the building was designated a Trent Hills Heritage property.